Please click here to view the latest information on how to access our services

  • Exporting/Travelling Horses Abroad

You will need to firstly go to the ‘Export Horses/ponies’ website -

You need to have a nominated veterinarian (such as Milbourn Equine) before continuing.

You will need to follow the links on this website to:

  1. Register with traces
  2. Then sign into traces
  3. Call Animal and Plant Health Agency APHA, to inform travel papers have been requested/created & the name of your signing veterinarian. (i.e. Milbourn Equine)

Your ITAHC (travel documents) are valid for 10 days after the veterinarian has signed them. There is no fee for the certificate but you will be charged for the veterinarian’s time.

If you decide to drive yourself, ensuring you have the correct documentation is vital, it may be a good idea to consult with your nominated vet.

You will need European vehicle insurance and, if you are a professional, you will need an International Operator’s Licence, which is obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You’ll also need a valid and up to date passport for your horse, an export licence to leave the UK and an in-date health certificate signed by a ministry vet.

Quarantine isn’t required when travelling within the EU.

Useful contacts
P&O Ferries: 0871 6642121,
Defra: 0845 9335577,
John Parker International Horse Transport:
01303 266621,


Equine Exports from the Vets Perspective

Once the practice has been nominated an Official Veterinarian (OV) will have to inspect your horse and sign the certificate which will allow your horse to travel.

Upon inspection the vet will be looking to see if the horse is fit and well to travel. The passport and microchip will be checked to see if this matches the horse. The Official Veterinarian will examine the horses for any signs of discomfort/illness which are present alongside a general health check. If signs of infectious diseases are present or if the horse is not comfortable to travel the Veterinarian will not allow the horse to travel. If signs of parasites (such as lice) are present the horse will not be allowed to travel.

Once the OV has given the horse the all clear they will sign and stamp the certificate. Your horse is now declared fit to travel.